MISSGUIDED ACTIVISTS: ALEX

by | March 4, 2015

We caught up with Missguided Activist Alex to find out if she’s sticking to her New Year’s Resolutions and what it is she’s doing to keep herself motivated.

“Everyone knows that training is hard work, but dieting is even harder. Mix the two together and sometimes it’s downright impossible! It’ll have you reaching for the Ben and Jerry’s thinking… “Il start next week”. Healthy food really doesn’t have to be boring. The misconception with most people starting a diet is that they cut out every treat. I’ve tried every diet under the sun, from 7 bowls of cabbage soup a day to eating completely paleo (basically like a caveman!) and now I think I’ve found my happy balance. Which is what life is all about, right?

My diet is “clean” 80% of the time, but the other 20% I’m all for the cheese and wine. Balance, like I said.”

healthy eating diary

“So anyway, here’s a little look at my daily diet:

Breakfast: Two poached eggs on a bed of pan cooked red onion, kale & baby tomatoes.

Lunch: Grilled chicken breast with roasted Mediterranean vegetables and half a roasted sweet potato.

Dinner: Steamed pesto salmon fillet with courgetti. Ace yours with our easy how-to.

Snacks: Apple and peanut butter and a homemade sugar free, dairy free, gluten free blueberry muffin.

We all know diets can get boring, so here’s one of my favourite clean treat recipes! Remember, a cake is still a cake, but there’s a lot less guilt that comes with these…”

how to make healthy muffins

Gluten, dairy, refined sugar free Blueberry Muffins

What you need:

1 cup almond butter

1 cup almond meal or flour, or make this yourself using your food processor and whole almonds

1/2 cup of honey

1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)

1/3 cup desiccated coconut

3 eggs

1/2 cup fresh blueberries, or even try with cherries or blackberries

1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate soda and baking power

Pinch of cinnamon

Method:

Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Step 2: Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and the wet in a separate bowl, then combine the two.

Step 3: Pour your mixture into muffin tins, making sure you only fill to half way (the recipe will make about 8 muffins).

Step 4: Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Step 5: Leave to cool for a few minutes then enjoy.

Tip: they are heaven served warm with a dollop of almond butter!

‘Til next time, Alex”